Monday, January 17, 2011

The iRock Rocks!

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to share some information about a product I played with today. It's the iRock by Imaginisce. It's been in stores for a while and I've been on the fence about taking the plunge...

I can glue my rhinestones on my projects. Do I really need another tool? Well, the answer for me is yes! It's a lot quicker to heat set rhinestones than it is to use a quick dry glue or other wet mount.

My tale of woe...
I put a dab of glue on my project and one of two things happen. I either drop the rhinestone upside down on the glue and goop it all up (making it no longer blingy) or I put a larger dab than I need and I have the "glue halo" surrounding my gem. Both of these irk me to no end.




iRock, my hero...
No goopy glue to drop my rhinestone in, no "glue halo" because the rhinestones have the exact amount of adhesive already applied. I simply put the rhinestone where I wanted it, pressed the button on the tool, touched it to the rhinestone, and in seconds I had a perfectly placed gem. It was really awesome and totally blew me away. I'm looking forward to making designs (like the Prima bling) on my projects for a lot less money. You also have the "rhinestone function" in the Make the Cut software for Cricut that turns any shape into a rhinestone design as well as rhinestone templates from Silhouette. Visions of glittering borders and flourishes are dancing in my head;)




(Note: The flower was also "Sassy Shimmer Spritzed.")

Any drawbacks you ask? Well, maybe one. The gems under the iRock/Imaginisce brand are a little pricey, but there's an alternative. You can use ANY heat set gemstone with the iRock. I hopped over to ebay and found 20 gross of rhinestones (144 x 20 = a big honking bunch) for only $8.99 with free shipping. I'm up to my ears in rhinestones of 10 different colors. I used the clear, aurora borealis, and red on my two test subjects. There's also quite a few rhinestones stuck in various places in my scraproom. I kept thinking...hmmm, will it stick to that? Yep, it did. What about there? Cool, there too. Even fabric, if you're wondering. All in all, I had a great experience with this product. I'll be doing a few demos at my crop on February 5th, 10:00-6:00, Messiah Church in Prattville, AL if you'd like to see the iRock in action.

For my next installment, I'll be sharing the recipe for "Sassy Shimmer Spritz" (aka homemade Glimmer Mist) so be sure to check back soon. Not only is it budget-friendly, but it'll add that extra touch of sass to your projects.

Until next time, Scrap Sassy!

1 comment: