Welcome! This is our First Technique Blog Hop! This month there are 11 of us highlighting the “Contrast Embossing” Technique as shown on page 31 in the Spring/Summer 2011 Idea Book! This blog hop is a great big circle so you can start wherever you want and continue through to see all the fabulous artwork incorporating this technique. If you would like to start from the beginning, please visit this link, Debbie's Blog At the end of this post, you will also find a listing of all participants and their blog addresses if you should get lost or want to reference a blog along the way. Let’s get started!
If you are coming from Neely Dean's Blog, you are on the right track! This technique is highlighted with the Lucky paper packet in the Idea Book, but you will find variations for its use throughout this hop.
I have to admit that when I started this layout, it was kind of humdrum and boring. I knew I was participating in this technique blog hop, but hadn't decided what type of project to showcase. Then like a bolt of lightning...well, maybe divine intervention...I decided that this technique was PERFECT for my title area and definitely added that "sassy" wow factor to this layout. There will be a companion page coming soon! The layout design is based on one of the Pagemaps by Becky Fleck. There is a link to her site listed under "Favorites."
Here's a closeup of my triple contrast embossed flower...
My twist on this technique is that not only is my hibiscus flower contrast embossed, it is triple embossed. I used the Extreme Happiness stamp set. The Hibiscus flowers are actually three separate stamps. I first stamped the larger, outer petals with Versamark and embossed it in CTMH Cranberry Embossing Powder. I followed the same steps with the flower center and stamen. I used CTMH Purple Pansy Embossing Powder on the inside and CTMH Gold Embossing Powder for the stamen.
If you would like to see details on the technique or my supply list, please continue reading below. If not, please continue on to Carol's Blog where you will find some additional artwork highlighting this technique! Be sure to leave a comment and let me know what you thought of my variation and happy hopping!
Supply List: Extreme Happiness Stamp Set, C1356
Moon Doggie Level 2 Paper Pack (Retired)
Journaling Spots (Retired)
Kraft Color-Ready Borders, Z1377
Stamp Ink Pads in Indian Corn Blue, Chocolate, Cranberry, Bamboo
Cranberry Embossing Powder, Z659
Gold Embossing Powder, Z668
Purple Pansy Embossing Powder, Z664
Hotfix rhinestones, topaz
iRock Tool (Haven't seen this neat tool? Check out one of my previous posts.)
I apologize for using one of the retired paper packs. I had bought it purposely for some of my cruise layouts. Our cruise, however, was in 2008, you know, back when the paper pack was brand new;) Oh well, the plans of mice and men; right?
Here are the steps to Contrast Embossing:
1. Stamp background image on project. You can use Versamark and embossing powder or just ink. (If you use the Versamark and embossing powder like I did, be sure to heat your image after each step and then wait until it cools before stamping your next image.)
2. Stamp additional images in Versamark ink. Sprinkle with contrasting color of embossing powder.
3. Tap off excess powder. Set with craft heater.
Here you can see a visual demonstration of this technique:
Thanks for stopping by! Continue onto Carol's Blog, to continue the hop!
Here is the list of Hoppers and links to their blogs:
1. Debi Barber – http://debiistheothersister.blogspot.com/2011/03/contrast-embossing-blog-hop.html
2. Neely Dean – http://neelydean.blogspot.com/2011/03/contrast-embossing-blog-hop.html
3. Kelly George – http://sassyscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/
4. Carol Harris – http://carol-harris.blogspot.com/2011/03/contrast-embossing-technique-blog-hop.html
5. Heather Martin – http://heathermmartin.blogspot.com/2011/03/contrast-embossing-blog-hop.html
6. Melissa Robinson – http://mlisrobinson.blogspot.com/2011/03/contrast-embossing-blog-hop.html
7. Shirley Ross – http://momnmescrap.blogspot.com/2011/03/contrast-embossing-technique-blog-hop.html/
8. Rachel Ventura – http://happyscrappinsquad.blogspot.com/
9. Tonya Whitehurst – http://heartandsoulscrappers.blogspot.com/2011/03/contrast-embossing-blog-hop.html
10. Xellina Wieland – http://xellina.blogspot.com/2011/03/v-behaviorurldefaultvmlo.html
11. Sheila Wilkerson – http://ezscrapbooks.blogspot.com/2011/03/contrast-embossing-blog-hop.html
Thanks for stopping by! Until next time, Scrap Sassy!