Thursday, October 27, 2011

An "Ornamental" Christmas Past

Welcome to the Studio!
If you’re visiting from the Card A Day Blog, thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you come back again soon. If you haven’t been to the Card A Day Blog, please stop by over there. There is a bunch of talented ladies doing some awesome creating. I’m so excited to be a part of it.

For this week, the theme is Christmas and Ornaments. I’m back on my vintage kick again, but I wanted to do something easy that could be recreated quickly for those of us who have LOTS of Christmas cards to make and mail out every year.

The card base is 8.5 x 3.75 (8.5 x 7.5 and scored at 3.75) The next layer is Cherry Cobbler cardstock, cut about a quarter of an inch smaller with the bottom edge border punched. It give a little pop of color next to the ivory cardbase. {Hint: Trim the width of the strip first, leaving it longer than 8.5. Border punch the bottom, then measure and trim excess from the top.}
The green pattern paper layer is cut about a quarter inch smaller than the red. I used a cut file from Silhouette for the ornament and cut it out of gold cardstock with an ivory shadow for a little extra pop there too. I glued the green patterned paper to the Cherry Cobbler. I then attached a short piece of Cherry Cobbler seam binding to the back of the Cherry Cobbler cardstock before attaching it to the ivory base. Using the seam binding, I looped it so it would look like a double bow and used a brad to cinch it together. For the sentiment, I used scraps and Spellbinders dies. I stamped “Merry Christmas” first and then cut it out so that I could have the sentiment centered as I wanted it. For attaching the ornament, I found it quicker and easier to run both pieces through my Xyron Sticker Maker (2.5”). I layered the gold on the ivory shadow first and then attached it to the card front and popped the bow on top with a glue dot. The sentiment is on a bit of foam tape as well.

Another tip...use what you have on hand. I have a bunch of Christmas-themed chipboard cutouts that would work great as well. You can also make an ornament, wreath, etc. a bit more elegant with pearls or a lot more eye-catching with bling. I hope you enjoyed your visit!

My Supply List:
Cardstock: Colonial White, CTMH; Cherry Cobbler, Stampin Up; DCWV Gold Pearl.
Patterned paper: Green tone on tone, Anna Griffin.
Stamps: A Merry Christmas, Stampin Up.
Ink: Chocolate, CTMH.
Dies: Spellbinders, scalloped ovals and ovals.
Ribbon: Cherry Cobbler seam binding, Stampin Up.
Bling: Pearl Brad, Paper Studio, Hobby Lobby.
Adhesive: Glue Glider Pro High Tack, Glue Arts; Xyron Sticker Maker; foam tape.
Tools: Border Punch, Martha Stewart.


Thanks for stopping by. Until next time, Scrap Sassy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Kelly that's a fantastic card, may lift (with your suggestion of a wreath, but may use bells) this one for an upcoming swap I have do, looks so easy and it's such a pretty card. Thanks for the inspiration, TFS.

    ReplyDelete