Friday, December 17, 2010

Card Idea #6...Flowers for Christmas

Hi Everyone!


Don't you just love flowers? They look pretty, most of them smell divine, and they can make almost any papercraft project better, whether elegant or funky. I made a lovely poinsettia card in red and gold, which coincidentially matches my Christmas tree. I was also inspired to create a Christmas ornament adorned with the lovely bloom.


Let's begin with the card...




This is elegant card was so simple I could have made it with my eyes closed. Well, maybe not closed completely. There were sharp objects involved. I began by cutting my card base from red Bazzill cardstock. I cut it 5.5 x 11 so my finished card would be 5.5 square. I cut a gold piece of textured paper to 4.5 x 4.5 and layered a piece of CTMH cardstock in ivory with approximately a 1/4 inch of gold showing all the way around. Then it was time for the fun stuff. I used a poinsettia stamp from Heartfelt Creations (http://www.heartfeltcreations.us/) which I stamped with Versamark and heat embossed with CTMH embossing powder in gold. I then used the Spellbinders Blossom #2 die to cut out the three poinsettias. I then took my Cutter Bees and trimmed half of the leaves off the two top layers, bent the remaining leaves for dimension, and used foam tape in the center underneath each layer.


What? No poinsettia stamp? Well, to make this project even easier and a little more glimmery, use a silk poinsettia from the floral department. Remove all the plastic centers, etc. and spray with Glimmer Mist. Burnt Red would be my first choice. After the flower is dry, shape the petals, add a brad to the middle to hold it together and use a glue dot to attach to your card. See how easy that was!


Now on to the ornament...



During the annual Christmas party at my husband's office, they do a "Dirty Santa" Ornament Swap every year. I decided to make a rosette ornament and was inspired by my card to add a poinsettia to the center for some wow factor. I began by cutting two strips of patterned paper 3 1/4 x 12 inches. I love, love, love the Anna Griffin holiday papers. They are so vintage-y. I then used a border punch to give it a frilly edge. Then began the scoring adventure. I am so thankful for my Martha Stewart scoring board. {If you don't have one, hop on down to Michael's at your earliest convenience and get one. I promise it's the best $20 you'll spend on yourself.} I scored the strips every 1/4 inch all the way across. After the strips are accordian folded and glued together, I added my poinsettia.

The poinsettia is individual leaves stamped with Versamark and heat embossed in gold. I then cut each leaf out using the Spellbinders leaf die made for Heartfelt Creations. After they were all cut out, I used a foam pop dot and layered the leaves. I added a little extra dimension by bending the leaves before I attached them to the pop dot. I then added some bling to the center and attached it to my rosette. The rest was easy. I attached a die cut banner with two tiny gold brands. The gold Merry Christmas is a piece of ribbon I attached to the banner. I added a piece of ivory organza ribbon to the top to hang it by. I actually surprised myself with how good this came out. It's such a vintage-looking ornament. I just love it, but I gave it away. I'm planning on making some smaller rosettes with poinsettia to use instead of bows on some packages next week.

Until next time, Scrap Sassy!

No comments:

Post a Comment