Monday, December 6, 2010

Third Day of Christmas Card Idea and a Shout Out

I just want to say THANK YOU to all the wonderful ladies that attended the card class and crop on Saturday. We had such a good time! I just love getting together with you all.  Sadly, we're not meeting in January, since the first Saturday in January is New Year's Day.  Being dedicated scrappers, we need to be with family and friends taking pictures and making memories to preserve; right? We'll be meeting again on February 5th, 2011 and there will be some scrap-a-riffically sassy Valentine's Day cards and projects.  I'm so excited I can't wait!


Now on to the matter at hand, our Christmas card idea...

I just adore the new CTMH Mistletoe Paper Pack that's available this year. It really has an old-time, traditional, country Christmas kind of feel to it, and it's perfect for a distressed card or layout design. I used an edge distressing tool to "rough up" the edges, added cranberry ink (with a dauber) to the card base for a little extra touch, and a button with gold ribbon. The card's finished size is 4.5 x 4.5. I just love square cards! I think they're cute, cute, cute!  Another idea would be to use burlap as a photo corner or instead of paper or jute for a bow.  That would give the card a old-fashioned, country feel.

Since I've been really late getting my posts up, I figure you guys deserve a little bonus for being so patient. Here is a layout I finished recently about my husband, Keith. He loves stocking stuffers, all those little silly, cheap gifts like oranges, chapstick, bags of walnuts, socks, pens, candy. I've even put his favorite year-round dessert, Cinnamon Pinwheels, stored in a tin inside his stocking. Last Christmas, while Mom and I were shopping at Kmart, we found this ridiculously large stocking and decided Keith had to have it. We stuffed it with everything and anything we could find, Alabama championship t-shirts, a huge pack of shop towels from Sam's, you name it! And I used my Cricut to create a tag in just the right size for this HUGE stocking.

I used papers from two of Basic Grey's collections, Dasher and Fruitcake.  I just love the distressed look of the papers.  I don't have to do anything to them :)  The acrylic frame and poinsettia are from Making Memories.  I found some olive green silk ribbon which I attached to a chipboard tag.  It was raw chipboard that I painted to match my page.  I stamped the word "Christmas" on it with brown Staz-on.  The journaling block is a stamp from Making Memories.  I stamped on white paper, then distressed with a stippling brush with both blue and brown ink.  I added an American Crafts chipboard tag as well.  The satin stocking is an ornament from Wal-mart.  I like to look in places other than craft and scrapbooking departments for embellishments.  The title "Stuffed" is chipboard glitter letters from Target's $1 bin.  I always make sure to stop by Target at least once a month to see what's new in the bargain bins.  I almost never go away empty handed.  The last time I was there, I found lime green metal mesh wastebaskets for $2.50 each.  They are perfect for my scraproom.  I have two!

Thanks for stopping by and I'll be back soon with more sassy scrapper fun!









No comments:

Post a Comment