Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Card Idea #9...An Ornamental Idea

Welcome Everyone!

I hope you've all had a scraptacular Christmas. I know some of you got digital cutting machines from Santa this year. Congratulations on starting the next level of your scrapping addiction!

Although I've had a Cricut Expression for a few years now, Santa (aka Mom) felt I needed one that matched our Sassy Scrapper Studio, so I'm the proud owner of a LIME GREEN Cricut Expression. I absolutely LOVE it and the newly released version of Make the Cut. And not to sound snotty or anything, but now I don't have to share a machine. Mom has one of her own now:) It can be quite tricky coordinating Cricut time when both people are cutting fools like we are!

Now on to our Ornamental Idea...


As much enjoyment as I get from using all the scrap tech that's available to us, it's always nice to go back to the tried and true techniques, like stamping. For these cards, I used both the CTMH Adornments stamp set as well as a Stampin Up ornament set. And no, I don't believe using the two together is some type of scrap-blasphemy:) It's impossible for one company to make everything, so you have to mix it up to get the look that makes YOU happy. Because after all, that's what matters; right?

I began with a card base in red. I used a piece of ivory cardstock as a matte, cutting it the same length as my card base. I then used a Martha Stewart border punch on the edge. I cut a piece of patterned paper and adhered it to the top. The finishing touch for that portion of the card is a piece of CTMH ribbon in a soft gold color. It's only available in the Mistletoe Creative Basics set.

Now, here's the coolest part of all. Do you need at least 30 or more Christmas cards every year? Between my husband's co-workers, church friends, scrapping friends, and family, I need a bunch. But why strain the budget? I purchased the patterned paper I used for this project at Hobby Lobby on clearance. It's made by Paper Studio, and for the insane price of 17 cents per 12x12 sheet, you can get lots of cards done cheaply. Now is the time to start combing the clearance racks both online and at your favorite stores. Some really cool Christmas papers will be on clearance soon after the holidays!

Enough about my bargain hunting skills. Let's get on to the stamping. I used a piece of ivory cardstock scrap. I cut it to the size I needed and stamped my three ornaments in red to mimic the patterned paper being sure to go off the edges with some of the images in order to get the effect I wanted. I then used black ink to add my strings and green ink to add my "So Blessed" sentiment. I then matted it with dark green cardstock and adhered it to my card. Quick, simple, and inexpensive...the makings of an awesome Christmas card.

Here is another sample of the same card. I changed it up a little because sometimes it gets a little tedious to repeat the same card over and over.


I hope you found both enjoyment and inspiration. Have a Sassy Scrappy Day!

1 comment: